Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Unparalled Passion For Teaching

I was lucky enough to have Mr Patton for 8th grade algebra.  Now, I realize how rare it is for a middle school principal to teach a class.  I don't know how he had the time or energy to teach us algebra each day with all of his other responsibilities.  But he made it a priority, clearly.

He had a unparalleled passion for teaching- this was evident to even us 8th graders back then.  Algebra just came alive in his class!   Most importantly, Mr Patton set high expectations for each of his students and challenged us to do our best.  In particular, I remember his rather unconventional motivational technique of seating our class in order of our most recent test grade!

I'm convinced that Mr Patton's mathematical inspiration contributed to my lifelong love of math and science. Without a doubt, Mr Patton was one of best teachers I ever had, and I am thankful for the experience of having him as my teacher.  He will be missed, but long remembered in the hearts of many.

Karen (Laslo) Franklin
UHS Class of 88