Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Remembering Mr. Patton

Charles F. Patton embodied all that we treasure about Unionville - he was a dedicated family man, educator, volunteer and the kind of person everyone should have the chance to know.

It is not often that a man from seemingly humble beginnings rises to the height of respect that Charles achieved. Every year, hundreds - perhaps thousands - of people enter Patton Middle School – the building named after a teacher, principal, bridge- player extraordinaire, Lions Club member, and friend to all - who until this past Saturday, July 19, was still a member of our community.

My fondest recollections of Charles are all centered on his thoughtfulness. No matter how many months passed, he always remembered our last conversation. He was always gracious and left me feeling better for having spoken with him.

One of the kindest notes I received when I was first named superintendent was from Charles. He assured me that I had his full confidence – and those were (and are) words that inspire me.

So to the Patton family - especially his wife Joanne, his children Rick, Nancy, Amy, Becky, and John - and their loved ones - I offer my sincere condolences. I know that Charles leaves an empty spot at the table and in your hearts. May it be filled with memories of a truly special man we were lucky enough to have for 85 years.

John Sanville
UCFSD Superintendent