Monday, August 18, 2014

Pillar of the Community

In 1988 I moved to Chester County and was lucky enough to get a teaching position at Unionville Middle School. Because I was a special education teacher, I was hired by the Intermediate Unit, but Mr. Patton took me under his wing and made me feel welcome in his school. I was never made to feel like an outsider. When Unionville took over the Intermediate Unit's classes a few years later, I could not have been more thrilled to be working for Mr. Patton. He was the patriarch of the school and a pillar of the community. Not only did he know all the students in the school, he knew their families. When Mr. Patton retired from Patton Middle School, he remained a constant presence in the school and in the community. Mr. Patton is Unionville and he is sorely missed.

Beth Nanis
Patton MS Teacher