Monday, August 18, 2014

Thank You, Charles Patton

Thank you to Charles Patton for taking a chance on a 22 year old college athlete back in the late summer of 1976.  Because of that, I was able to start a 36 year career at the Unionville (Charles Patton) Middle School.  I was a teacher, team leader, assistant principal, and became the principal when Charles retired.

I remember his retirement celebration at the Mendenhall Inn.  He always used to brag about when they went on vacation, everyone was allowed one paper grocery bag for their clothes and everything would fit in the trunk of the car.   At his retirement, I gave him a new set of luggage; different size grocery bags from the local Acme!!  I could never get my family to pack like that!!

Charles always knew everything about everybody!!!  When I first started teaching, I lived in Newark, DE.  I would come in on a Monday, and he would proceed to tell me what I did over the weekend!!  I never did find out his informant!  He was able to do that with everyone.

He was a true advocate for the middle level.  He spent a year studying middle schools as he developed the program at Unionville.  UMS opened in January 1973, and became one of the first middle schools in the state.  He included many of the programs that Donald Eichhorn identified as essential for effective middle schools.  In the 1992-93 school year the Unionville Middle School was renamed the Charles F Patton Middle School because of his commitment to the middle level and Unionville.  In 2003, Charles was awarded the William Alexander Award by the Pennsylvania Middle School Association for his continued commitment to the middle level as well as his influence on me as a middle level principal.

The middle school was a big part of his life.  He loved teaching and continued to teach Algebra I while he was the principal.  After his retirement, he substituted at the middle school and taught bridge at the Adult Night School.  He loved working with students and adults.  He attended all the student programs and sporting events.  He was great at remembering names of current and past students.

I can not thank Charles enough for what he did for me as well as thousands of other students and teachers.  He will be missed by many but never forgotten.  His legacy will continue as CFPMS continues to strive to be one of the best middle schools in the state.

Bruce Vosburgh
Former Patton MS Teacher and Principal
September 1976 - June 2012