Monday, August 18, 2014

A Great, Great Man

I had the honor of having Mr Patton as a principal ('81-'84) and as an Algebra teacher ('83-'84). I still have so many vivid memories of his incredible height, booming voice and always present, warm smile! He, along with several other memorable math teachers (Dan Cippolini) are greatly responsible for my confidence with math and my ability to pass this on to my two daughters. Mr Patton was such a dynamic Algebra teacher! Being seated according to test scores was both intimidating and motivating. I never encountered that in any other class. I have a random memory of him teaching our Algebra class the word (and definition of) superfluous. I can't remember why he thought it was important, but I've never forgotten that moment, or the definition.

When I heard years ago that the middle school was renamed for him, I was so pleased, but not at all surprised. He was a great, great man.

Thank you for gathering these memories,

Donna (Mallalieu) Stack
UHS Class of 1988