Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Classic Mr. Patton

When I think of Mr. Patton I cannot help but smile. He has been a positive influence in my life since I was a 6th grade student attending Unionville Middle School in the 1970's. There are very few people whose voice I can hear clearly in my head, Mr. Patton's is one of them. He was a gentle giant with a mischievous laugh that rang through the halls of Patton. I can remember clearly how he would say my name: "Ann......." and later "Mrs. Ferron..........." followed by questions about my family and comments about our community. I was a lucky girl to grow up in the shadow of Charles Patton. I consider myself blessed to be able to call him my teacher, mentor and friend.

Mr. Patton hired me on a Saturday afternoon two days before school opened in 1986. I was teaching for two years in the West Chester School District as a LTS after graduating from Millersville. By a strike of good luck I was called by Mrs. Waibel to come in for an emergency interview when the Art teacher resigned on the Friday before opening day. Times were different back then, and Mr. Patton put me in the classroom on Monday morning with Mrs. Patton by my side until all clearances and approvals had gone through about a week later! T this day I have a unique bond with Mrs. Patton. What a bonus!

I worked for Mr. Patton until he retired and Bruce Vosburgh took over. Those years produced so many memories, some serious, some uplifting, and many funny. It would take forever to go through them all, but, here is a quick one that I think is classic Mr. Patton;

In September of 1988 I returned to Unionville Middle School for in-service days very pregnant with my first child. The baby was due in mid October, so of course I was heading back to school for the new year. Little did I know that Mother Nature had other plans! David was born that weekend, 6 weeks early! The baby was healthy, I was happy and one of the first calls of congratulations I received was from Mr. Patton. After the initial congratulations, Mr. Patton said " Well young lady you know you have left me in in quite a bind. I have not even begun the search for your substitute." I apologized for the early delivery, but also reminded him that it was pretty obvious that there was a baby on the way. He laughed, said he would figure it out, not to worry and to enjoy my time at home being a new mom. This was classic Mr. Patton.

Mr. Patton may be gone, but his child like, fun loving spirit lives on in the halls of the school so aptly named for him. Rest in Peace Mr. Patton, you made a tremendous difference in the world while you were here.

With love and affection, sincerely,

Ann Ferron
Former Student and Current Patton MS Teacher