Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Substitute Principal

Mr. Patton was my principal.

But not at Charles F. Patton Middle School.

In May of 1997, I was a teacher at Phoenixville Area Middle School. I was preparing to interview for a position at Patton Middle School with then principal Bruce Vosburgh at the same time that Phoenxiville's principal was leaving his position. Phoenixville was bringing in an interim principal for the remainder of the school year and we were scheduled to meet him the next day. When I arrived at school next morning, our new principal was standing by the office counter in the main office and I went up and introduced myself to him. He said that his name was Charles Patton and I, a little stunned, replied, "As in...Charles F. Patton Middle School?" Not missing a beat and with a little twinkle in his eye, Mr. Patton said, "Never heard of that guy!" A few days later, I interviewed for my current position at Patton Middle School, not telling any of my colleagues at Phoenixille I was doing so. The next day, I was working alone in my classroom when Mr. Patton strolled into my room. He leaned against a chair next to my desk and said quietly, "So, you're interviewing for a job at my old school?" As I was to find our later, Mr. Patton knew everything.

I did get that job and have been teaching at Patton Middle School ever since. Through the years, I would see Mr. Patton around the school (as he often came in to the building as a substitute teacher) and he would delight to tell everyone the story about how he was my principal. And when I saw Mr. Patton at his weekly bridge club gathering at school, just a few months before his passing, I was so happy to see him. Especially when he proudly told one of his bridge players, with that same twinkle in his eye, about how he had "stolen me" from Phoenixville all those years ago!  I was delighted to talk with him and even more delighted that he thought of that story.

Mr. Patton was one of the nicest people I have ever known. He was also an outstanding teacher, principal, community member and family man. His legacy lives on and his influence is still felt at his middle school today, something we should strive to protect. I just wish I could have had the privilege of working for him at Patton Middle School. But I am thankful for Charles F. Patton as my principal for a few short weeks in 1997 and a story that I will remember and love to tell as much as he did.

John Walsh
Current Patton MS Teacher