Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Once In A Lifetime Experience

I have the DISTINCT memory of walking the contents of our lockers across the parking lot from the high school to a sparkling new middle school. I think we even carried some chairs. I was on the “Gold’ team, at that time that hallway was upstairs and to the left as you entered. I remember the gentle giant presence of Mr Patton welcoming us to this new school, a once in a lifetime experience. He was more than a principal to me---he was called Dad by one of my very best friends, ‘NancyBeth’. I remember voting on the ‘new’ school colors and the mascot.

My 4 older brothers had had Mr. Patton as a teacher---a VERY challenging one—for those who never had him as a teacher. I was so grateful that he went administration so that I didn’t have to have him. (I KNOW that my mother would have played the ‘I am the parent” card, and “I make only 1 request per child---and I insist that my daughter be placed in Charles Patton’s 6th grade class.”) I remember my brothers memorizing lengthy poems, attacking math problems, and sweating through writing assignments. (I was good with just having him be The Principal and Nancy’s dad!!!!) I believe that my oldest brother, Mike, had Mr. Patton as a student teacher. According to my mother, he was destined to be a master teacher from the start. That proved true.

I have fond memories of playing at his home. It’s a privilege to have had the influence of your Principal on the personal level that I did.

Thank you to the Patton family for sharing him with so many generations of students.

Thank you Mr. Patton,

Megan “Peggy” Kelly Bickhart
Former Patton MS Student